Followers

Translate

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I can't sew, but I love sewing stuff.....

Coffee of the Day - Texas Turtle

I know it doesn't make any sense at all, but I love sewing themed things. Probably because it takes me back to the days I would spend with my great-grandmother in her sewing room. I can't sew to save my life. y'all know that. can't faux stitch straight either.... nope, not one bit. but I love the sewing done on cards. I have a sewing machine in the attic. I have taken it in for repairs and even the fella who fixes them sits with his mouth hanging open as that dreaded bobbin does all kind of things he has never seen before when I sit down in front of the machine. He says it is mind-boggling. I say it is just me and the sewing machine. we have this unique relationship - I agree to let other people use it, and we get along just fine. if there wasn't a bobbin involved, I think we might actually like each other better, but that bobbin, oh, the trouble it causes me. even with the metal plate in the way, it still finds a way to pop out into my lap every time I try to sew. Thus, I have learned to just sit back and admire everyone else's beautiful creations........

But when I received these fun images to sneaky peek for you from Squigglefly for this weekend's release, I thought that perhaps I could attempt a card...... and this one is to honor my Great-Grandmother, Lillian. I think she would have liked it. She made clothes for me, for herself, for other people, for just anyone who had a need. Gosh, I miss that wonderful lady. She had such an influence on my life.

I used papers from Cosmo Cricket, a sketch challenge from Crafts 4 Eternity, pin from Maya Road, trims and ribbons from my friend Melissa, a bit of magic mesh that I hadn't pulled out in a long time, a fun wooden button from JoAnn's, shimmerz on the roses & bow, silver glitter pen on the needles & pins, and vanilla craft ink on the card base edges. whew.... I think that does it! the card also qualifies for several other challenges which you will see below.

Have a wonderful day! know that you are truly loved! Jennifer

If the Shoe Fits - Mom (I hope Great-Grandmother works.....)
Squigglefly SNR - paper piercing
Busy Beauties - red, blue, or both

14 comments:

pinky said...

Very pretty card Jennifer, thats a great image and love all your embellies. Thanks for sharing at C4E this week.
Pinky

Holly Young said...

Fabulous card Jennifer! I love the little pin you stuck in the ribbon, and the bits of fabric you used! Great memories of your grandmother too. I can sew some, but I don't really enjoy it. My mom sewed a lot and I never really appreciated when I was growing up - until the time she made my best friend and I matching dresses! Loved wearing those together! Can you imagine if I still wanted to wear matching clothes with my best friend today? LOL!

Faye said...

What a fantastic card. Love the images. Thanks for playing at C4E. x

Annika said...

Oh it's stunning, you're right, your Granny would have definitely loved it! As do I.
TFS
Hugs
Annika

Adrina said...

Just love it. I like that image and the way you made this card.
This is a great alternative for your sewing problems!!!
Thanks for joining C4E this week.

JazzyH said...

Pretty and I love the images.

Marlene said...

What a gorgeous card!

Terri Conrad said...

Hi Jennifer -

I always appreciate your comments, thank you for taking your time to do so.

Ya know what - I don't sew either, but I have always had a love affair with fabric. Now I understand why, it's the color, the pattern & texture.

You can certainly create fabulous cards & more :o)

Heather D. ~ Fresh Brewed Designs said...

HHAHAHA!!! I have to agree with you and the bobbin comments. I have not been able to use my machine for months! I dread asking my mom to come fix it AGAIN lol. That darned bobbin!!!

Great card! I love the image and the yummy papers, ribbons and .. well. . all of it! :)

Thanks for joining in at the BBCS

michele said...

gorgeous card Jennifer thanks for joining us at c4e this week hugs xx

Unknown said...

this is so clever! i love the scissors you have on there! thanks for playing along at the Shoe!

PocketsOfInspiration said...

That pincushion card is super sweet.

Unknown said...

Just found you blog today. Totally awesome. Love your cards and your stories...you remind me of me. In your memories, definitely not in card making.

Carolyn Bounds said...

Oooooo...I love this wonderful card, Jennifer!!! Like you, I love anything sewing related, and I would love to use my sewing machine...unfortunately, the love is not reciprocated. LOL! Until it feels comfortable around me, I will simply hand stitch when I feel the urge;o) Thank you for playing along with us in the BBCS challenge!! I cannot express how much we appreciate your friendship and support:o) You are gem, my dear!!!

Hugs!
Carolyn